What is Scrip Fundraising? We’ll Tell You (and How to Do It)
Wouldn’t it be great to raise money for your favorite organizations without having to spend extra money? That’s the basic premise of scrip fundraising. Following is an overview of this relatively recent entrant to the fundraising scene, along with tips on how to make your scrip fundraising a success.
Scrip Fundraising Overview
With scrip fundraising, organizations buy gift cards from retailers at a reduced rate. Donors then buy these gift cards from the organization at retail price, and the organization gets to keep the difference. Donors then redeem the gift cards at the retailer for full face value, making purchases they normally would anyway! It’s a win-win situation. Your organization has an easy fundraiser, and the retailer gets more customers.
Where to Buy
There are several online scrip retailers who work with national retailers. You can purchase everything from gas gift cards to national restaurant chains through these sites. Some do not have minimum orders, but others do, so be sure to read the fine print.
The profit your organization earns will vary, depending on the gift card. Profit typically ranges between 1.5 percent and 20 percent. Lower profit margins are typically for gas cards and grocery stores. However, these are items that people purchase weekly, which can really add up!
Tips for Scrip Fundraising Success
Be sure your members understand how easy it is to raise money using this program. Have them use the gift cards for all of their normal purchases—gas, groceries, dining out, clothing, and more. Explain to them that they don’t need to make purchases they wouldn’t normally make. By simply making their everyday purchases through this program, your organization can earn hundreds of dollars per year from everyone who participates.
How many people are online?
- 10 Raffle Ideas You Can’t Afford to Miss
- The Top 22 Art Fundraising Ideas
- 10 Charity Fundraising Events to Raise Large Amounts of Money
- 10 Exciting Fundraising Ideas for Sports Teams
- 10 Cheap Fundraising Ideas for When Money is Tight
- How to Hold a Simple 50-50 Raffle
- 9 Great Fundraising Ideas for When Everything Else Hasn’t Worked
- The Top 10 College Fundraising Ideas Sure to Draw a Crowd
- How to Plan an Excellent Charity Fashion Show
- 10 Simple Fundraiser Ideas for Small Groups
- Candy Fundraising (9)
- Charity Fundraising (86)
- Chocolate Fundraising (7)
- Church Fundraising (75)
- College Fundraising (59)
- Creative Fundraising Ideas (67)
- Easy Fundraising (66)
- Free Fundraising Ideas (60)
- Fun Fundraising Ideas (47)
- Fundraising Events (59)
- Fundraising Ideas for Kids (40)
- High School Fundraising Ideas (68)
- Interviews (4)
- Non Profit Fundraising (83)
- Online Fundraising (13)
- Other (23)
- PTA Fundraising (53)
- Quick Fundraising Ideas (42)
- School Fundraising (85)
- Sports Fundraising (51)
Advertisements That Keep Us Free…