Planning a Fundraising Event: 10 Things You Need to Consider
Planning a fundraising event can be one of the most rewarding experiences you’ll ever have. However, it can also be a time of stress and worry. Following are 10 things to consider when planning a fundraising event that will help ensure your planning process goes as smoothly as possible.
- Don’t do it alone. Even if you’ve volunteered to plan a fundraising event, it doesn’t mean you have to do it all yourself. Put together a committee to assist you, or delegate pieces of the event to others who’d like to help.
- Consider the efficacy of your fundraiser. There are so many fundraising ideas out there; it’s difficult to determine which one will be the most effective. Consider how much money you think the fundraiser will make and the number of man hours it will take to host, to compare different event types.
- Create a timeline. Timelines for when tasks should be completed help keep everyone on track, and ensure those helping you know exactly when their items are due.
- Create a budget. A budget ensures costs do not get out of control when planning a fundraising event. This is a critical tool to use when delegating pieces of the event that may include purchasing items or services.
- Ask for donations. Don’t be afraid to ask local businesses for donations to your event. From door prizes to materials and supplies you need for the event, many businesses are happy to donate to those planning a fundraising event. The more donations you receive – the more money will go to your cause! At some point in the planning process, you might also need cash (donated goods are great, but you might need to, for instance, pay for event space ahead of time). Try raising a little cash for your event beforehand using a free online fundraising website like GoFundMe, which allows you to create a custom fundraising web page through which people can easily donate. Of course, you’ll raise the bulk of your money at the event itself.
- Set goals for your event. Just like in other aspects of life, goal setting when planning a fundraising event motivates everyone toward a quantifiable result. Keep track of these goals during the planning process, and let members periodically know if you’re on track.
- Staff your event properly. Have enough volunteers on staff to ensure your event runs efficiently. However, do not over-staff your event. There is nothing more frustrating for a volunteer than standing around with nothing to do.
- Harness the power of the Internet. Set up a web page with details of your event. Then, use social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to promote your event.
- Marketing is critical. It won’t matter how awesome your event is, if no one knows about it. Contact your local paper, post flyers in local businesses, send out e-mails, and more to be certain the public knows about your event.
- Say “Thank you!” When the event is over, thank all of those who made it a success. This thank you list should not just include those who attended, but also those who donated items and the volunteers who devoted their time and talents.
- The 22 Things You Absolutely Must Do Before a Fundraising Event
- The 14 Things You Absolutely Need to Do During Your Fundraising Events
- How to Fundraise: 7 Things Everyone Needs to Know
- Do You Make Any of These 10 Fundraising Mistakes?
- 6 Simple Tips for Outstanding Charity Events
- How to Host a Speaker Series Fundraiser
- How to Host a Successful Silent Auction Fundraiser
- Borrowing from the Cub Scouts: Planning the Perfect Popcorn Fundraiser
How many people are online?
- 10 Raffle Ideas You Can’t Afford to Miss
- The Top 22 Art Fundraising Ideas
- 10 Exciting Fundraising Ideas for Sports Teams
- The Top 10 College Fundraising Ideas Sure to Draw a Crowd
- 10 Cheap Fundraising Ideas for When Money is Tight
- 9 Great Fundraising Ideas for When Everything Else Hasn’t Worked
- How to Hold a Simple 50-50 Raffle
- 10 Simple Fundraiser Ideas for Small Groups
- How to Plan an Excellent Charity Fashion Show
- 10 Charity Fundraising Events to Raise Large Amounts of Money
- Candy Fundraising (9)
- Charity Fundraising (86)
- Chocolate Fundraising (7)
- Church Fundraising (75)
- College Fundraising (59)
- Creative Fundraising Ideas (67)
- Easy Fundraising (66)
- Free Fundraising Ideas (60)
- Fun Fundraising Ideas (47)
- Fundraising Events (59)
- Fundraising Ideas for Kids (40)
- High School Fundraising Ideas (68)
- Interviews (4)
- Non Profit Fundraising (83)
- Online Fundraising (13)
- Other (23)
- PTA Fundraising (53)
- Quick Fundraising Ideas (42)
- School Fundraising (85)
- Sports Fundraising (51)
Advertisements That Keep Us Free…